Monday, May 25, 2009

Calderon to miss Eurobasket 2009


Spain's celebrations over winning the race to host the 2014 FIBA World Championship have been cut short following the announcement by Jose Manuel Calderon that he will not play at this summer's EuroBasket.  Spain's starting point guard is just 27 years old but he has been struggling with injuries since getting hurt in last year's Olympic Quarter-Final triumph over Croatia.

He wasn't able to play in the Semi-Final win over Lithuania or in the gold-medal game defeat to the United States, and this season he coped with very knocks while playing for the Toronto Raptors.

Calderon even underwent a finger operation after the Raptors' NBA campaign.
"I will not play in September at the EuroBasket in Poland," Calderon said.
"It´s impossible. It has been a very difficult decision. But I have to rest a lot."
The finger problem required Calderon to wear a cast.
"They have taken away the cast and now I am beginning my rehabilitation," he said.
"In three weeks, I will be able to use the ball and then there will be another three weeks before I can begin to train. In other words, a few months. Moreover, in my leg I have a six centimeter mark that doesn´t allow me to feel comfortable."


source : eurobasket2009.org



Bookmark and Share

0 comments: