Friday, May 14, 2010

Tony Parker bails out of World Cup

Tony Parker won't play at the world championship for France this summer, staying instead with his San Antonio Spurs.


The point guard said on Thursday on his website that the NBA team made it clear he should "only focus on the club."

"This means that from the month of August, I will work in Los Angeles to prepare for next season," Parker said. "They want to see me at my best during the recovery. For them, it is impossible that I play with the France team after all my health concerns this year."

Parker, who pointed out that his decision was "irrevocable," added his NBA season had been spoiled by injuries and that the Spurs don't want to see him so beaten up again.

The Frenchman, who has one year left on his contract with the NBA team, said he would like to continue his career in San Antonio. "My wish is to achieve a great season with San Antonio. I have no desire to leave. My heart is here," Parker said. He's helped the Spurs win NBA titles in 2003, 2005 and 2007


The world championship will take place in Turkey from Aug. 28 to Sept. 12.

France will face Spain, Lithuania, New Zealand, Canada and Lebanon in Group D.



source : cbc.ca

Click here to return to the homepage.

0 comments: